Joint Memorandum of Understanding on the establishment of an Asia-Pacific Network on Integrated Plant Nutrient Management
For the purposes of this Memorandum of Understanding:
1. “Plant nutrient” shall mean nutrients from fertilizers, wastes (from both agriculture and industry) and from soil and environmental resource, such as atmospheric deposition and irrigation water;
2. “Integrated management” shall mean integrated use the above nutrients; Nutrient management shall be integrated with sound soil management practices and other farming techniques such as high yielding cultivation systems;
3. "Region" shall mean the region of Asia and the Pacific;
4. “Participant”shall mean a relevant Institution that has signed this Memorandum of Understanding or has been accepted subsequently in accordance with ? IV.3;
5. “APIPNM” shall mean the Asia-pacific network on integrated plant nutrient management;
6. “Consultative Board” shall mean the Consultative Board of APIPNM;
7. “Regional Co-ordinator” shall mean the Regional Co-ordinator for APIPNM;
8. “National Co-ordinator” shall mean the official appointed by a Participant to take responsibility for coordinating APIPNM activities at the national level and to represent his Institution on the Consultative Board of APIPNM;
2 Objectives of APIPNM
1. Strengthen exchanges of information, experience and knowledge in IPNM between and among scientists and institutions in Asia and the Pacific region through activities of APIPNM.
2. Strengthen capacity building in IPNM research and dissemination within both participant countries and Asia and the Pacific region through activities of APIPNM.
3. Formulation of programmer to support South-South Cooperation to improve the transfer of knowledge and information to farmers, policy-makers and field extension agents within both participant countries and the Asia and the Pacific region.
3 Activities of APIPNM For the purpose of achieving its objectives APIPNM may undertake the following activities:
1. The collection, compilation, dissemination of case studies of past and ongoing IPNM projects, traditional and improved IPNM practices for the purpose of subjecting them to environmental, and/or economic and financial appraisal so as to evaluate the reasons for success or failure of the projects and IPNM effectiveness and adoptability of the practices;
2. Organization of periodic regional workshops and seminars to facilitate the exchange of experience between specialists designated by Participants;
3. Publication of a newsletter at least 1 times a year to promote APIPNM's activities;
4. Constructing a web site of regional internet network;
5. Promotion of a series of regional action learning and development programmes each with its own programme of regional and national level activities that may include regional workshops, expert consultations, and training linked with collaborative in country research and development, extension and training activities;
6. Other activities which are required to achieve the above objectives.
4 Structure of APIPNM The organs of APIPNM shall be:
1. The Co-ordination Unit;
2. Participating countries, shall appoint (nominate) their National Coordinators. National coordinator shall form Network Consultative Board;
3. Other organs e.g. Non-governmental organizations, which are deemed necessary by the Participants through their participation in the Consultative Board.